Super absorbent polymer
The advantageous aspect of using SAP is that it is:
- Not pollute the environment;
- Not harm to the human body.
Types of Super absorbent polymer
So far, there are two types of superabsorbent polymers: sodium polyacrylate and potassium polyacrylate.
- Sodium Polyacrylate: used in disposable hygiene products like baby and adult diapers, sanitary pads, sandless sandbags, ice bags and so on.
- Potassium Polyacrylate: mainly used for plants as a water-retaining agent.
Tips: the specific water retention for agriculture is 1.3-1.4 MPa. For the specific retention of roots, it is 1.6-1.7 MPa. That’s why SAP can automatically release water to plants’ roots.
- Soil Side
- Increase the capacity of the soil to hold water (by 35 – 80%);
- Increase tiny soil viscosity;
- SAP maintains soil temperature, PH;
- Loose soil ( SAP will expand or contract when in action).
- Fertilizer Efficiency
- Besides water absorption, SAP also absorbs fertilizer elements in the soil to prevent loss.
- Potassium Polyacrylate contains 18.3% potassium which gradually releases fertilizer efficiency.
- Plant Side
- To increase the rate of germination, SAP slowly and steadily releases water to aid the survival of seedlings;
- Improves crops’ yield capacity;
- Decrease the potentiality of fruit cracking;
- Other benefits of a steady supply of water.
For Other Uses
As a result of its awesome water retention capabilities, SAP is also useful for protecting products from liquid exposure.
Inflatable Anti-Flood Sandbags
The sand-less bags used in combating floods are initially small sizes and lightweight but as they absorb water they take a solid shape. Sand-less sandbags are easy to store because they are small in size and you can easily transport them also because of their lightweight.
- Improve the permeability of concrete;
- Very effective as an internal sealant in materials made of concrete;
- Can increase fibrous shapes;
- Special SOCO polymers can be used as a controlled release agent in concrete.
Other types of Applications
- Inflatable toys and rubber
- Excreta collection
- Protection of concrete
- Thickening Gel
- Drilling fluid
- Oil – Water separation
- Water beads
- Fire- retardant gel such as a (Water extinguishing agent)
As a result of its amazing moisture retention capacity, different industries keep finding new purposes for Super Absorbent Polymer (SAP).